Monday, February 29, 2016

It's just a word

Autism...IEP...My son is more than the words written on paper. He is funny, outgoing, lovable, and sometimes difficult. We all can be difficult. I mean he is 5 years old. When did our children have to stop being children and perform like they are adults?

The expectations at school have grown out of proportion. We are now making decisions in Kindergarten for children that somehow we as parents feel will affect the rest of their lives. Choice schools, charter schools, homeschooling, private schools...I want to scream because these are not decisions that need to be made at the age of five. When we were kids we just went to the school that we were zoned for. Now there are applications and lotteries to get into THE school. Geez, these kids are just that kids.

I see kids on a daily basis that are anxious, depressed, and lost. Yes, I said lost. They don't even know how to make some of the simplest decisions or they have so much on their plate that they don't know how to relax. When did our society turn into this? High schoolers are now taking college level courses in 9th grade. In 9th grade, I was worried about whether a boy was going to like me. College was in the back of my mind.

Ok...let me explain where this rant is stemming from. My son will be starting Kindergarten in August. I put an application in for a local charter school that has an amazing reputation. I believe that Gage would flourish in this environment. I had to turn in a copy of his IEP. I received a message today that he was ineligible due to the services his IEP requires - an IEP that was written in May 2015. I get it. The IEP is meant to protect Gage and provide services for him to be successful. But how can you make a determination off of a plan that was written last May for a child that is in a constant state of development. I would hope that any educator would be aware of child development and how quickly a child can change.

So maybe I am a little biased. But I think about all the children I see in my office weekly. The struggles their parents have with the school system. When did it become them versus us? I hold the belief that teachers play an extremely important role in our children's lives. I still remember specific teachers that touched me throughout my years in school. I know there are still those teachers like that. I have worked with them. I know they exist. Why can't we all work together for the benefit of these amazing little people and help them to flourish - even the ones with challenges. We all have challenges.

I don't want any parent to feel like I did today - helpless. My son is AWESOME because of all of his challenges and strengths. I only hope that others can see it in him.

Until next time...

No comments: