Saturday, December 14, 2013

Eligibility

So today was Gage's eligibility meeting for services through the school board. David and I were very happy with the results. He will be going to a PreK program at an elementary school for a full day starting in January. He will also get speech during his day. This is a huge relief to me. I know that he will get what he needs on a daily basis and hopefully he will start to interact socially more. Overall, Gage is in the average range for his intelligence. He continues to have a big discrepancy between is receptive and expressive language. He understands far more than he can express. Every day it is getting better.

I know that we are lucky. Gage is not severe. This has definitely opened my eyes not only as a parent but as a clinician. I am very careful not to label anymore. The diagnosis does not define who you are as a person. Gage is not autistic. He has autism. There is a big difference. Gage is an amazing child who loves cars, trains, and planes. Autism never will define him as a person. He will learn to cope with the symptoms and do great things in life. As will every other child with Autism.

Until next time....

No comments: